Students and one of the lecturers in front of a whiteboard

Before Your Arrival at FHWS

Congratulations! You have received your admission to study at FHWS. In the following section, we have summarized important steps you need to do before you arrive at FHWS.

After you have been accepted to study at FHWS and you want to accept the place, you have to enroll at FHWS on time.

  1. You have to enroll online via the FHWS application portal:
    • Log into your account in the application portal.
    • Click on the icon “Enroll” on the right side.
    • Answer the following questions. You can skip the question about health insurance and SEPA.
    • At the end, you will see a PDF file which consists of two pages. The first page is your letter of admission, the second page is your declaration of acceptance.
  2. Print your letter of admission and your declaration of acceptance.
  3. Sign the declaration of acceptance and send it ONLY per post (not via e-mail) to FHWS. You can find the address on the declaration of acceptance.
    • Please note the deadline!
    • Without having received your declaration of acceptance, the Department of Student Affairs (HSST) cannot prepare your student ID card.
  4. For degree programmes restricted on admission: your place to study will be passed on if you do not send the declaration of acceptance to FHWS by the deadline!
  5. The declaration of acceptance lists all documents that are missing for enrolment. You can hand them in to the Student Affairs Office at FHWS (HSST) after your arrival at FHWS during the enrolment period.
    Enrolment period for the winter semester: 17-21 September
    Enrolment period for the summer semester: 5-9 March
  6. You can apply for visa using your letter of admission.

Please note that FHWS, like all German universities, cannot offer accommodation for its students. Being accepted as a student at FHWS does not mean that you automatically have accommodation! 

It is very difficult to find accommodation in Würzburg and in Schweinfurt. Therefore, we recommend you to apply for accommodation as early as possible in your home country. Make sure to look for several alternatives, too. Do not rely on just one accommodation offer! Note: In Germany, only a contract in writing is legally binding!

Rental contract
A rental contract is legally binding once you have signed it and sent it back.  Please read through the contract carefully and inform yourself about the period of notice. In Germany, the period of notice is approximately two or three months.

The landlord/lady usually demands a deposit (max. three basic rents), to protect themselves in case of damages, etc. The deposit is due together with the first rent. You will get the deposit back when you move out. However, the landlord/lady can keep a certain part of the deposit (at first), in order to fix potential damages or to pay additional incidental costs (heating, water, etc.). After that, you will receive the rest of the deposit. 

Studentenwerk is an institution independent from FHWS that offers student accommodation.

General information about the student residences in Würzburg und Schweinfurt:

  • Apply online on the Studentenwerk website. Mind the deadlines!
  • Apply as early as possible! There is only a limited number of rooms! Apply online under the following link:
  • After you have successfully applied, you will receive an email containing the details of your application. Check the data and click on the link in the email, if your data are correct. Only then, your application is complete!
  • If there are free rooms, you will receive a room offer via email. The rental contract and the payment instructions are attached to this email.
  • After you have received the rental offer via email, you have to accept the offer within a few days. Please mind the deadline! In order to accept the offer, you have to print the rental contract, sign it, scan it, and send it back to the student residence via email. Additionally, you should send the payment proof in this email, too.
  • Total costs at the student residence:
    • Approx. € 250-300 per month
    • Rent includes: electricity/heating
    • If your consumption exceeds the usual amount, you might have to make additional payments.
  • All rooms are furnished
  • Students have to provide the following items themselves:
    • Cutlery, cooking accessories, bed sheets, blanket, pillow
    • and food
  • Film: Studentenwerk Würzburg

Information about living in a student residence: Wohnheimwörterbuch des Studentenwerks

The demand for rooms in student residences is very high. Therefore, we recommend you to mind the deadlines! Apply as soon as you have received your letter of admission

Video tutorial about online application at Studentenwerk

In our video tutorial you will receive detailed information about the online application process at the Studentenwerk.

Student residences of other institutions in Würzburg

  1. 522 Apartunities
    Photos and online application:
  2. More student residences:

Student residences of other institutions in Schweinfurt

  1. AWO-Studentenwohnheim
    Photos and online application:

Private rented flats:

  • Looking for a private rented flat can take a long time (up to several months).
  • You can look for private rented flats:
    • On the Internet
    • In local newspapers
    • On the Blackboard of FHWS
  • The flats are usually not furnished (neither kitchen nor lights). It is possible to buy the kitchen from the previous tenant.
  • The rent does not always include costs for electricity, heating, and water. Please check carefully in your rental contract or ask the landlord/lady, which costs are included in the rent.
  • You have to pay the rent to the landlord/lady.
  • You have to pay the electricity and heating costs to a company. The landlord/lady will tell you, with which provider you have to register.
  • Please note: Electricity and heating costs can be very expensive in Germany. It is up to your consumption behavior, how much you have to pay.
  • It's often cheaper if you are not looking for an apartment directly in Schweinfurt or Würzburg. In Schweinfurt, suburbs can be reached by bus very fast. For this reason we have created for you a special map with the connections to FHWS in Schweinfurt.

What is a WG (Wohngemeinschaft)?

  • It is a cheap accommodation option
  • It is very popular amongst German students due to the cheap rent and social contacts.
  • In a Wohngemeinschaft (shared flat), several people share the same private rental flat or house and share the rental costs.
  • Every person has their own room. Usually, all people share a kitchen, a bathroom, a living room, a washing machine, a telephone, or a TV.

Useful links 

  2. (Würzburg only)
  4. Facebook group: Uni Würzburg WG Börse
  5. Facebook group: Wohnungsmarkt Schweinfurt/Umgebung
  6. (Schweinfurt only)
    Note: They only rent flats, not single rooms. Applicants should be able to speak German.
  13. sascha.zaps[at]
    Individual rooms for students in Schweinfurt (500 euro, address: Hohmannstarße 6, everything is included, possible to take the room for two people)
  14. Shared appartment in Obbach (offer in German only)




  • Youth hostels are a temporary solution if you need accommodation for a few nights, until you can move into your room.
  • Costs: € 20–27 per day (more expensive with breakfast)


  1. Youth hostel Würzburg
  2. Babelfish Hostel:


  1. Youth hostel Schweinfurt

Please note that, in addition to applying at FHWS, you also have to apply for a visa.

Applicants from the following countries do not require a visa: 

  • EU member states
  • Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland

Please contact the German embassy in your home country before coming to Germany and ask about specific entry requirements for students who want to come to Germany.

Applicants from non-EU member states partly require a visa for their study stay in Germany. Please inform yourself at the German embassy in your home country, if you require a visa.

  • Apply for a visa at the German embassy in your home country, as soon as you have received the letter of admission from FHWS. Please submit ONLY the letter of admission with the other required documents in the visa application procedure. The declaration of acceptance should not be submitted to the German embassy but to the FHWs via post (see point 1). Otherwise, problems or misunderstandings can occur during the visa procedure.
  • The visa process can take several weeks or months.
  • During the application, you will have to proof that you have sufficient financial means for the whole study stay. The German embassy in your home country will provide information about the type and amount that is required.

No accommodation at the time of visa application

If you do not yet have an accommodation in Germany when you apply for visa, you can provide the FHWS address. Students studying in Schweinfurt should provide the FHWS address in Schweinfurt. Students studying in Würzburg should provide the FHWS address in Würzburg.

Address Campus Schweinfurt

University of Applied Sciences
Ignaz-Schön-Str. 11
97421 Schweinfurt

Address of the FHWS site in Würzburg

University of Applied Sciences
Münzstr. 12
97070 Würzburg

You can find more information, addresses of embassies and consulates, as well as visa requirements, on the homepage of the Federal Foreign Office:

All students studying in Germany need a valid health insurance which is recognized in Germany. Without a valid health insurance, you cannot enroll at FHWS!

  • In Germany, there are two different types of health insurance: public and private health insurance. Until the age of 30, or the 14th semester, you have to be insured with a public health insurance.
  • You can be insured with a private health insurance only in exceptional cases.
  • Please note: Once you are insured with a private insurance, you cannot switch to a public health insurance! (from Bachelor to PhD degree).

We recommend you to take out an insurance with a German public health insurance after your arrival in Germany. FHWS will support you with the insurance during the orientation programme at the beginning of the semester.  

The health insurance you have when you apply for a visa for Germany, is usually a travel insurance. This insurance is not valid for the whole study stay and will not be accepted.

Public health insurance providers in Würzburg and Schweinfurt (information also available in English):

Please note:
Persons over 30 years of age cannot have the public health insurance system at a student tariff. Those persons have two other options:

  1. They can take out „voluntary insurance“ from a public health insurance provider. The monthly costs are twice as high as for students under 30 years of age.
  2. They can take out a private health insurance.

If you want to take out a private health insurance in Germany, you also need a confirmation about its validity from a public German health insurance provider. You have to hand in this confirmation during enrolment at FHWS. You cannot switch to a public health insurance provider for the whole duration of your study programme!



Citizens from the following countries can use a public health insurance from their home country:

  • European Union (EU): apply for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in your home country
  • Countries from the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • Countries that have a social agreement with Germany: apply for the S1 form (or E-111, AT 11, ATN 11, BH6) in your home country.

Countries that have a social agreement with Germany: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey, Tunesia

We recommend you to participate in the Orientation Programme, which we at the International Office of FHWS organize! It will make your start in Germany much easier.

The Orientation Programme offers support with the following topics:

  • Information about FHWS services
  • Academic course guidance
  • Support with administrative formalities (health insurance, enrolment, opening a bank account, registration at Registration Office)
  • Intercultural trainings
  • Free-time activities

The Faculty of Business and Engineering offers:

  • A preparatory-course in Mathematics in Schweinfurt in German or English (Only in the winter semester)
    • Date: 16-220 September 2019
    • Students in the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and the Faculty of Electrical Engineering can also participate.

Video tutorial about Orientation Programme at FHWS

Orientation Programme for students in Schweinfurt

Summer semester:

  • Full-time and exchange students: 11.-15.03

Winter semester:

Orientation Programme for students in Würzburg

Summer semester:

  • Full-time and exchange students: 11.03.-15.03

Winter semester:

Some faculties offer a Buddy programme for their international first-semester students.

Buddies are students who help international students:

  • They pick students up from the train station
  • They show them around town, at FHWS, faculties, study programmes, etc.
  • They plan free-time activities to help international students in getting to know the place and meeting new people

If you study International Management, and you want to have a Buddy, please send an email to:
Ashraf Chahin: ashraf.chahin[at]

The official Facebook page of the i-Campus is called "FHWS i-Campus". You can gain an overview over upcoming events.

There is a Facebook group for each site of FHWS. You can use it to ask questions, and students from higher semesters will be glad to help. Please make sure to join the group:

  1. Campus Würzburg: “FHWS – International Students Würzburg“
  2. Campus Schweinfurt: “FHWS - International Students Schweinfurt“

The nearest airports for travelling to Würzburg or Schweinfurt are:

  • Frankfurt International Airport
  • Nuremberg Airport
  • Stuttgart Airport
  • Munich Airport

1. By train

You can find the train schedule on the website of Deutsche Bahn

Deutsche Bahn provides train rides from Frankfurt Airport to Würzburg. If you want to get to Schweinfurt, you have to switch to a different train at Würzburg main train station.

2. By bus

You can reach Würzburg and Schweinfurt also by bus. Here are some long distance bus companies:

Please note that the schedule is fixed, so you need to be punctual! You can find more information on the websites of the companies.

3. Transportation within the cities of Würzburg and Schweinfurt

Würzburg and Schweinfurt have well developed public transportation networks.

After you have enrolled at FHWS, you will receive your student ID card. It includes the semester ticket, which allows you to use buses and trains in the city of your stay for free. The bus lines bring you to the different FHWS campuses.

In preparation for your study stay in Germany, you can inform yourself about living costs in Würzburg or Schweinfurt on the website under the section Formalities and Finances.

In Germany, the majority of people pay cash, especially small amounts of money. Credit cards are rather popular, but usually not used for everyday purchases. However, lots of people pay via EC card.


Please find the information summarized in the checklist.