Students in one of the lecture rooms

Student Jobs

In order to finance your living expenses during your studies, you can look for a student job. However, please note that your focus should always be on your studies.

Are there any time restrictions?

Students from non-EU countries
may work 120 full days or 240 half days per year. If you work as a student assistant at a university or a company, the amount of days may be higher.

Students from EU countries
There are no restrictions.

How much am I allowed to earn?

If you earn less than € 450 per month / less than € 8,352 per year, you do not have to pay income tax.

If you earn more than that, you have to hand in a tax declaration to the tax authority. They will check if you paid too much tax and refund the extra amount, if necessary. You can hand in a tax declaration retroactively for the past year.

If you have further questions, please contact the tax authority in the city you are staying:

Finanzamt Würzburg
Finanzamt Schweinfurt

How do I find a job?

FHWS Job exchange (available only in German)

Job exchanges on the internet: (Jobs in Würzburg)

Employment agency
You can contact the employment agency in the city you are staying and ask if there are suitable jobs for students:

  • Employment agency Würzburg: Schießhausstr. 9, 97072 Würzburg
  • Employment agency Schweinfurt: Kornacherstr. 6, 97418 Schweinfurt

Other options

  • Notices in cafes, grocery stores, shops, etc.
  • Job advertisements in local newspapers

Which documents do I need?

After you have found a job, you have to hand in the following documents to your employer: 

  1. Residence permit
  2. Tax identification number
    Usually, you receive this number when you have registered at the Registration Office. If you did not receive it, please go there to ask:
    City hall Würzburg: Bürgerbüro, Rückermainstr. 2
    City hall Schweinfurt: Markt 1, room 02
  3. Health insurance certificate
  4. Social security number / Pension insurance number
    You can ask for this number directly at your public health insurance provider. If you are insured with a private health insurance provider, please send a letter directly to Deutsche Rentenversicherung (German Statutory Pension Insurance Scheme) and ask if they can send you your social security number.