How can I find out whether my pre-study internship counts?

If you have already completed an internship, the university will examine it once you have begun your studies. You can obtain an application form for this from the Hochschulservice Studium.

Please note that we are unable to provide detailed information on whether your internships count before you have begun your studies.

Which subjects count towards my degree?

You must first enrol at our university before we can assess whether studies you have completed in the past can count towards your degree. Once you have begun your degree programme, you can make an application to the Hochschulservice Studium for previous studies to be taken into account.

As a general rule, subjects/courses can be counted towards your degree if they are similar to the programme here in terms of content, number of teaching hours and credits awarded.

Please note that we are unable to provide specific information on which of and whether your subjects count towards your degree.



Can I work during my studies?

Students from non-EU countries

You may work for 120 full or 240 half days per year. If you work as a student assistant at the university or company, these times may be higher.

Students from EU countries

No limitations on work.

Please note that you should always focus your efforts on your studies. Because of the high number of students, the FHWS is unable to offer assistance in finding a job.

Do I need health insurance?

You must provide a valid certificate of health insurance cover in order to enrol at a German university. We recommend that you choose insurance from a German public health insurance provider. You will receive further support in this after enrolment and during the orientation weeks.

If you already have health insurance in your home country, please ask your provider whether you are also covered in Germany. If you are, you must provide a certificate to this effect no later than at the time of enrolment. A German health insurance provider can issue this certificate. In addition to health insurance, we highly recommend to choose a private liability insurance in addition. That will cover all the risks of daily life and costs around €80 per year. You can find information on liability insurance during the orientation weeks or from a German health insurance provider.

Will there be an orientation programme?

The FHWS International Team organises the orientation weeks for international students two to three weeks before the start of the semester. The main aim of this programme is to help you find your feet in your new home as quickly as possible. You will receive legal information and help in opening a bank account, applying for your residency permit, enrolment and much more.

Our international students at the Schweinfurt site also have the chance to take part in our buddy programme. If you would like, you can be put in touch with an experienced student during your first semester, who will help you to get settled.

You will receive more information on the orientation weeks and the buddy programme via email once you have been accepted.

How can I find accommodation?

Unfortunately, the FHWS does not have any halls of residence for its students. However, the students’ union (Studentenwerk) offers a limited number of places in halls of residence in Würzburg and Schweinfurt. Please note that you need to apply for these places independently. Because the number of places in halls of residence is limited, you should apply as early as possible.

A place in a hall of residence run by the students’ union costs between €250 and €350 per month.

Please see the following link for more information and apply for a place in a hall of residence as soon as possible: http://www.studentenwerk-wuerzburg.de/en

Important! The students’ union is an independent organisation. University staff have no influence over your application or the allocation of accommodation!

Do I need a visa?

EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland

Applicants from EU countries do not need a visa. Once you have found accommodation in Germany, you must register at the residents’ registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) to receive your residency permit.

Non-EU member states

Applicants from Non-EU countries normally need a visa. Please contact the German embassy in your home country in order to find out if you will need a visa. This has to be issued for residency for the purpose of study. To receive a visa, you must provide proof of how you will finance your studies. This shows that you can afford to live in Germany for a year. The German embassy in your home country can provide you will information on how this proof should be provided. You can apply for a visa from the German embassy or consulate in your home country, before travelling to Germany. You can find more information, the addresses of embassies and consulates and the current visa regulations for all countries on the German Foreign Office website: www.auswaertiges-amt.de/EN


Apply for your visa in plenty of time, ideally as soon as you receive your acceptance. Applying for a visa can take weeks or even months. You must register with the foreign citizens’ office (Ausländerbehörde) within three months of arriving in Germany in order to obtain your residency permit for the purpose of study.

When can I enrol?

Enrolment in person for the winter semester takes place in late September. To enrol, you must present a receipt of payment for the administration fees and any missing documents (certificate of health insurance, visa etc.). You will then receive your student card.

You will receive more information on enrolment from our team during the orientation weeks.

What do I do once I have received my acceptance?

- Applicants from non-EU countries must apply for their visa in good time.
- We recommend that all students take care of their accommodation as soon as possible.
- Make preparations for your journey and make sure that you arrive at your place of study in good time for the orientation weeks or the start of the semester.
- Participants in the orientation weeks will complete the necessary formalities, such as enrolment, residency permit, opening a bank account etc. during this time.



When will my degree programme start?

The winter semester at German universities of applied sciences begins in October for most of the study programmes. Two weeks before the start of the term, the FHWS holds orientation weeks for all international students.

During this time, we will offer you assistance in dealing with authorities, preliminary courses and initial language courses. The FHWS i-Campus Team will send you more information on this via email once you have been accepted.

Please note that participation in the orientation weeks is optional. However, we recommend that all our international students take part if at all possible. During this time, you will not only receive lots of useful tips for your life in Schweinfurt/Würzburg and attend a wide range of information events, but also get to know the towns’ welcoming culture and your future coursemates better.

How can I find out the status of my application?

If you have already registered with uni-assist online, log in to your account there using your access data. If you have not yet registered online, first register, stating the applicant number you have received from uni-assist.

After logging in, click on “Application” in the menu. You will see a list of all your applications and, in the right-hand column, the current status of each.

The same procedure applies for the FHWS’ online applicant portal. Use your access data to log in and check your status here.

Please remember that university staff are unable to give you any detailed information about the status of your application while the application process is going on. Any queries delay the application process immensely and, in the worst case, can prevent you from being able to make efforts to acquire a visa in good time!

What are the individual steps for my application?

1) Applicants with German Abitur/Fachabitur

Please apply directly via the FHWS application portal

2) Applicants who have gained their university entrance qualification abroad

Please request preliminary review documentation of your documents via uni-assist and then apply via the FHWS applicant portal. Be careful to apply for the proper VPD: Bachelor OR Master VPD.

You JUST can apply for a Bachelor study programm with a Bachelor VPD!

You JUST can apply for a Master study programm with a Master VPD!

Step 1: Preliminary review documentation via uni-assist

- Register with uni-assist
- Complete the online application
- Print the request for preliminary review documentation
- Send the request electronically
- Sign the print-out of the request and send it together with the necessary application documents by post to uni-assist

Hochschule Würzburg-Schweinfurt
c/o uni-assist e.V.
11507 Berlin

Preliminary review documentation for your university entrance qualification can be provided all year round.

Step 2: Application via the FHWS

- Apply online via our application portal

- Print the application form, sign it and upload it together with the necessary application documents online to the FHWS application portal.

- Bring the original documents on the day of your enrollment at FHWS with you.

Applications via the FHWS are only possible during the application period: 1st April to 15th July each year for the following winter semester.

Please note that the FHWS will not forward or process incorrectly-addressed applications. All your documents must be received in the correct form no later than the deadline, 28th July. Neither the FHWS nor uni-assist will make any exceptions regarding the application deadline.

Please inform yourself if your study programme starts also in the summer semester. Application period will vary then.

Which documents do I need for the application process?

1) Applicants with German Abitur/Fachabitur

- leaving certificate from a secondary school (A-Levels or similar) If required: Proof of study periods or school-leaving certificates
- A copy of your ID card or passport
- A tabular CV with all education and training undertaken / school-leaving certificates obtained as well as any related information

2) Applicants who have gained their university entrance qualification abroad

Documents required for the preliminary review documentation by uni-assist:

- High school leaving certificates (Abitur or similar)

If required: certificates regarding periods of university study or degrees held
For more information, please see the uni-assist website: http://www.uni-assist.de/vpd-procedure.html

Documents required for application to the FHWS:

- Preliminary review documentation from uni-assist
- Simple copies of high school leaving certificates (Abitur or similar)

If required: certificates regarding periods of university study or degrees held

- Notarised copies of the language certificates (German/English)
- A copy of your identity card or passport
- A CV listing all stages of education/qualifications and the associated data

General information on the necessary documents: Please note that it is not necessary to include a personal statement. This will not be taken into account in the application. 

Please do not send your original certificates neither to the FHWS nor to uni-assist – only notarised copies of the documents are required. Notarisations must be issued by public bodies or solicitors. A copy is only considered notarised if it is marked with an original notarisation stamp. If your certificates were not issued in German or English, they must be translated into German or English by an officially sworn translator. Ensure that all documents are complete.

Can I apply for a scholarship?

The FHWS currently only offers the “Deutschland Stipendium” scholarship. If you are interested in applying for this, you can find more information on the following website: http://www.deutschlandstipendium.de

However, there are also other organisations that may offer you a scholarship. Please see the following websites to find out about scholarships for international students from your home country.


How expensive is it to live in Germany?

You can expect to spend an average of € 600 to € 800 per month. These costs are predominantly made up of your rent incl. additional charges such as Internet etc., food and spending on leisure activities. However, the amount you actually need will depend on your lifestyle.

What are the tuition fees?

With the exception of MBA programmes, students at the FHWS do not pay tuition fees. You will only be charged administration fees depending on the site.

Schweinfurt site €72 per semester
Würzburg site €102 per semester

A semester ticket for the use of public transport is included at both sites.

Do I have to provide a certificate of German language skills in order to enrol?

That depends on the study programme you are interested in. Please check the profile of your favourite programme and find out which admission requirements are needed.

What are the admission requirements for a degree programme?

- University entrance qualification, study record and/or further qualifications if required. The school education requirements you need to meet depend on the country in which you have achieved your highest qualification.

For the admission requirements for your home country, please see one of the databases under www.daad.de/en or www.anabin.kmk.org

If you want to study a degree programme in German you have to show one of the following test results:

- Deutsches Sprachdiplom der KMK (Stufe 2)
- DSH (Stufe 2)
- TestDaF (Stufe 4)
- Feststellungsprüfung (FSP) Studienkolleg (Erfolgreich bestanden)
- Sprachdiplom Goethe-Institut (Oberstufenniveau)
- Dolmetscherinstitut München (Deutsche Sprachprüfung II)
- Language certificate B2 (University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt)

For the degree programmes in English you will need a language certificate for the English language at the following level as a minimum in addition:

- TOEFL test with a min. of 80 points (Internet-based)
- IELTS with a min. of 6.5 points
- Cambridge Certificate on Advanced level (CAE)

Applicants who have completed their school education or a university degree completely in German and/or English (for the programmes in English) and native speaker are exempt from this.

Please note that you have to fulfill additional requirements like a pre-study internship depending on the study programme. You can find this information at the profile of each programme. 

Please note that no exceptions will be made with regard to our admission requirements.

When and how can I apply for a degree programme?

Most of the study programmes start in the winter term. You can apply from 1st of May until 15th of July. Some study programmes also start in March. Please find the information in the profile of each programme.

Applicants holding the German Abitur/Fachabitur qualification should apply directly via the FHWS application portal.

Applicants who have not acquired their certificates of previous education in the Federal Republic of Germany or at a school that follows the German Abitur examination regulations must have these certificates examined in advance by uni-assist with the preliminary review documentation (Vorprüfungsdokumentation).

Please note that the FHWS is unable to forward or process incorrectly-addressed applications. All your documents must reach us in the appropriate form and on time, i.e. no later than 28th July. The FHWS and uni- assist will make no exceptions to the application deadline.

How long does it take to complete a study programme at FHWS?

You have to distinguish between a Bachelor`s and a Master`s programme:
A Bachelor`s Programme will take 7 semesters (3.5 years) to complete,
a Master`s Programme will take 4 semesters (2 years) to complete.

Which degree programmes can I study in English?

The FHWS currently offers three Bachelor’s degree programmes in English:

- Business and Engineering (B.Eng.)
- International Management (B.A.)
- Logistics (B.Eng.)

In addition, the FHWS offers the following Master’s programmes in English:

- Business with Europe (MBA)
- International Social Work with Refugees and Migrants (M. A.)
- International Business with Focus on Western Europe, or Focus on Asia or Focus on Central and Eastern Europe (MBA)

Which degree programmes can I study at FHWS?

Find here a list of all study programmes.

You will find answers to frequently asked questions here.